Snow and slippery conditions
The municipality is responsible for snow and ice removal for the sake of traffic safety and accessibility. Priority is given to pedestrian and cycle paths and thoroughfares.
When do we plough?
Along the municipality's priority footpaths and cycle paths, ploughing starts when there is 3-5 cm of snow. On other footpaths and cycle paths, ploughing starts at 10-15 cm.
Prioriterade gång- och cykelbanor ska vara åtgärdade senast 06:30 vardagar i normalfallet*. Helgdagar 10:00. Övriga prioriterade gång- och cykelbanor ska vara åtgärdade senast 09:30 vardagar i normalfallet*. Helgdagar 10:00.
*Normalfall avser snöfall där startkriteriet uppnåtts kl. 02:30.
A plough turn takes about 12 hours, which means that your street may have much more than 10-15 cm of snow before the plough truck gets there. Normally, snow clearance starts at 4am after a heavy snowfall.
The municipality calls out 45 snow clearing vehicles during the "big ploughing turn", in addition about 85 vehicles plough the individual roads and in the service areas. When there is persistent snowfall with large amounts of snow, we sometimes have to take the priority roads again before we can get to your street. The goal is to have all streets and roads plowed within 12 hours.
Unfortunately, damage can occur to fences, mailboxes, hedges and more. If an accident occurs, the property owner should notify customer services as soon as possible. We will then come to you, inspect the damage and together we will investigate what caused the damage and whose responsibility it may be. If you mark hedges and fences with marking sticks, this will help us. We do not compensate for damage to misplaced letterboxes and dustbins.
Good to know!
- Avoid parking on the street when it snows, but you can use marked parking spaces. Vehicles that significantly impede snow clearance and are parked incorrectly may have to be moved.
- Please place your letterbox so that newspaper deliverers and postmen can reach it from their vehicles. Trash cans should be easily accessible on your garbage collection day. During the winter, both the mailbox and the trash cans can be moved and adjusted based on the growing plow bank.
- Mark (with sticks or sticks) low fences, hedges, bushes or other items near the property line that may be difficult for machine operators to see as the snow depth increases.
- Remove any tree branches and shrubs that grow out over street level lower than 3.6 metres. This is also very important for our visually impaired residents.
- Do not shovel snow from your property onto the street. It can cause a traffic hazard and risks ending up on your neighbor's driveway when the plow truck arrives.
- Make sure that what belongs to you is not outside your property line. This could include hedges, branches, paving, scooters, trailers, construction etc. Property that is misplaced and damaged during snow clearance will not be replaced.
The map shows the pedestrian and cycle paths that are prioritised for snow clearance.
Sanding/graveling is done primarily for pedestrian and bicycle traffic, at traffic lights, roundabouts, hills and curves. Residential streets are sanded/graveled only in extreme slippery conditions. In the case of flash flooding and supercooled rain, when everything is sanded/graveled, the duration of the operation is approximately 12 hours.
Good to know about cycling and walking in slippery conditions
- Shoes with sturdy soles provide better grip in winter.
- Studs help you keep your footing when it's slippery outside.
- Winter tyres on your bike make winter cycling safer.
Under perioden 1 november–30 april kan du som fastighetsägare gratis hämta sand och grus – för husbehov – vid kommunens utlämningsställen. Vi fyller på fredagar. Du kan hämta i hink burk eller annat kärl. Att fylla en släpvagn är inte tillåtet.
- Skellefteå, vid sandsilon i korsningen Torsgatan-Boviksvägen och vid förrådet på Stallgatan.
Samt vid förråden i:
- Ursviken, Mekanvägen 50
- Bureå, Sinusgatan 3
- Lövånger, Vattenverksvägen 38
- Burträsk, Skolgatan 1
- Kåge, Storgatan 54
- Byske, Maskingatan 14
- Jörn, Strandvägen, vid brandstationen
- Boliden, vid återvinningscentralen
Du kan även hämta sand och grus på alla våra återvinningscentraler när de är öppna.
Hjälp oss förbättra webbplatsen!
Om du inte hittar informationen du sökte efter, klicka på nej-knappen nedan och skicka oss ett meddelande om vad som saknas.